Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Total Pageviews

Friday, January 7, 2011

It is not a dream!







Written by Matt

Alissa and I awoke this morning and pinched each other to make sure this was not a dream. Smiles appeared as we realized that Benjamin was sleeping in the crib next to us and it was real. We are a family!

We all fell asleep at 7pm exhausted from a long and exciting day. We worked on Wednesday and then flew overnight arriving at our hotel/B&B by 6am on Thursday. We quickly unpacked, took some pictures, spent some time on the computer, and then freshened up in preparation to meet our new baby boy. The drive to FANA was short, our hands shaked, our heartbeats pitter pattered faster then ever. We made our way down a dirt road filled with large potholes and puddles of mud. A broken fence to our left and a stray three-legged dog barking on the right. We wondered if we were going the right way to FANA. Our driver was Catalina, the daughter of our hotel's owner. She assured us we were on the right path and we were almost there. And sure enough, like the light at the end of a tunnel, was a beautiful building called FANA. The architecture was welcoming and opened up to the sunshine. The landscape was well manicured with the very same plants we have in our yard in Friendswood, TX. We slowly pulled up to the gate. Our hearts pumping even faster. An armed guard approached and asked what business we had here. Catalina explained that the Keil Family have arrived to pick up their new baby. It was all in Spanish, which we could not understand, but I'm sure it went something like that. The armed guard checked some paperwork and made a call to the office. He searched the back of the car to make sure there were no unwanted passengers trying to claim being part of the Keil Family. The guard calmed our nerves a little as he smiled while we proceeded through the gate. We have arrived! Our baby was inside. The moment we had been waiting for had come.

FANA is a huge complex. We parked in a garage located under the building. We walked up the front steps and into a glorious foyer that was filled with color due to a large stained glass masterpiece of art hanging in the front glass. The front glass included children playing and dancing around a large tree of life. It was not long before we were greeted by Maria Teresa and she escorted us up more stairs and through a long hallway with every inch covered by framed family pictures. Over 10,000 children have been adopted through FANA over 35 years; so there were many pictures. Alissa's family pictures were there too - although we did not see them. We entered into one of many rooms that were decorated beautifully with leather furniture and Colombian poems and pictures about FANA. Again framed pictures of families covered the walls and bookshelves. We met with the doctor assigned to Benjamin and went over all our baby's medical history. We discussed what we needed to do over the next few months to keep our baby healthy and help him recover from a cough and AR - reflux. The doctor stated that "he is a fighter" and will be just fine.

After the short meeting we were welcomed by Flor, the co-director of FANA, and a young man by the name of Andy. Andy was here visiting from American University, lives in Washington DC, and was adopted from FANA 25 years ago. This was Andy's first trip back to Colombia and to FANA since he was adopted. A similar story to Alissa. Flor asked if it would be ok for Andy to present Benjamin to us for the first time. We knew that this was a special moment for us and would love to make it special for Andy as well. "Of course", we replied. We provided Andy and Flor with a couple outfits of different sizes allowing them to dress Benjamin for the special moment. We then waited patiently, quiet, and alone knowing that this very moment was the last time it would be only Alissa and I - soon our family would add a precious baby.

And then...Benjamin came around the corner in smiles and laughter. His dark brown eyes were opened wide. Andy held him out and Benjamin reached for his mommy. It wasn't long before his head was snuggled softly into mommy's shoulder. The moment was too special to describe in words. We smiled and talked with him. He didn't cry. We didn't cry. We all were smiling. It was undoubtedly the most special moment in our lives as a family.

We were soon back at the B&B. The afternoon and evening went by fast. We all fell asleep by 7pm, awoke for an 11pm feeding, and then back to sleep until 6:30am. Yes, he slept soundly until 6:30 am! Benjamin is a good sleeper. His mommy on the other hand kept waking up to stare at our little man sound asleep. These moments are unforgettable.

We thought we came prepared and then he smiled at us.


Written by Alissa
Entering Colombia was amazing. It is amazing to return to the country where I was born - even more amazing to be traveling here to meet our son and bring him home. It was just as my parents had told me. The mountains dwarfing Bogota. The smells were different then I have imagined. There was a hustle to the city. Many people in smalls cars, mopeds, and trucks flew by us as we traveled from the airport to the B&B. I was trying to take in the scenery as quickly as I could catching the mountains as they appeared more and more regal in front of us. It was almost overload. I couldn't believe we were here to get a baby! It was wonderful. The B&B have been so welcoming and wonderful. They helped us adjust to moving in with the baby. They even offered to babysit while we venture out to look at the shops. I am not sure I am ready for that yet :) I know Matt on the other hand is ready to go, go, go. In the next few weeks there will be time for me to take pictures and video of Bogota for him. He will be able to see Bogota in a special way. I loved the pictures and slides my parents showed me. I looked at them all the time. They had so many fun stories to tell. A story for each picture. We are beginning our stories too. Just as we were getting ready to travel to FANA and meet Benjamin I thought I should pack some formula for the road. I opened the formula container and "poof" all over my black hair, black dress and black sweater! I forgot to open it in the bathroom. It is funny now but then I was frantic! Next week we will see Mercedes, Elena, Flor and Maria Teresa. They will explain the paperwork and the next steps for the adoption. I was worried I would cry and scream with excitement when we met Benjamin. I didn't. I did cry, when Flor came in and said, "Aleesa, how are you?" She introduced Andy to us. It was so wonderful to see a face I knew here in Bogota. I had most recently seen Flor in 2003 when she and Mercedes were in Minneapolis, MN for a fundraiser. Today Flor said, "You are a FANA child and now you have a FANA child. Another one of mine!" She squeezed my chin, just like my Grandma used to. I cried some more. Flor just smiled and winked. She told us where to stand and not to move for she would return with Benjamin. (Flor is the woman on the right next to me in red in the first picture posted.)

8 comments:

  1. Wow...I could not be happier for the Keil family. He is absolutely beautiful and looks so happy (and how could he not be)! You have the whole office in (very happy) tears.

    Take care,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so adorable! I just read your journey to Payton. She said he is soooo cute!!! Such a special time and he can look back on this blog! Lots of Love! Sativa, Shawn, & Payton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alissa & Matt,

    We just cried reading your moving story. It is so wonderful to hear about the beginning of your new life as a family. We look forward to reading more and are experiencing all these moments with you.

    Kristin Ives :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet. What an amazing story. He is a precious boy and you are both great parents. Congratulations! We hope to see the three of you soon.

    The Eaves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy and Scott BlazekJanuary 8, 2011 at 6:48 PM

    Congratulations! He is beautiful! We are so excited for this amazing beginning to your now family of 3. Enjoy every little smile and cry. What a gift from God he is for you.

    Love,
    Scott and Kathy Blazek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felicitaciones! I am so incredibly happy for the two of you ... the three of you! He is a gorgeous child, and looks to be a happy child too.

    -Mauricio Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You guys made a wonderful job describing that moment, I loved Matt's sentence "We thought we came prepared and then he smiled at us." It made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, now I'm not just choked up...I am crying. Happy tears, though. :) This is wonderful! :)
    ~~Laura

    ReplyDelete